Thursday, January 15, 2015

(Don't) Shake It Babeh!

(Don't) Shake It Babeh!
Photo credit : www.snapthepix.com

'Yengge poringge?' means 'where are you going?' in Tamil. Being a Malaysian, regardless of whether you are an Indian or not, you would have definitely heard this being said somewhere. If you haven't, well, today you have learned something new then. =/

I admire those whom are eager to learn on languages other than their mother tongue but I am totally against those who makes fun of it on purpose.

I hate it when people try to impersonate speaking in Tamil and say God knows what while shaking their god damned head like the Tanjaoore Doll. For fuck sake, we Indians, don't speak in that manner. How many Indians whom speaks like the doll have you came across with?

And no, I'm not offended if you mispronounce and genuinely try to learn the correct pronunciation. But when you come up with your own words and make fun of the whole language, you piss me off. There's no such thing as 'yenghererere' or anything that sounds similar to it. So, don't come up to me and act smart by speaking rubbish. You'll probably end up getting smacked. *warning*

The tv commercials should just stop coming up with advertisements that potrays Indians speaking in a funny accent. That's just not right. Yes, I admit some Indians do have an accent when they speak but there is no need for exaggeration. We Indians, do not shake our heads when we speak (at least not to the extend that is being potrayed on tv). The recent advertisement for the brand Tumix, is such a turn off. The advertisement featured Adibah Noor speaking in Malay but in an Indian accent, wearing a traditional Indian clothing. I don't even get it. I'm damn sure, if you used a real Indian lady for the ad, she wouldn't have spoken like how Adibah Noor did. =/

If you are genuinely interested in learning Tamil, you can always do it in a proper manner. There is no need to shake your damned head and create some annoying accent. You might end up getting smacked. Looking at the brighter side, getting smacked is better than being slashed with a parang anytime of the day.

What Say You?

3 comments:

Arvind R.K said...

when I was in high school, I was the only Indian in my class, the rest were Chinese, and they had good time making fun of my English which has a slight touch of Indian accent to it, but I don't mind, because it was due to my parents, they feared I might forget about my roots, that they strictly talked to me in Tamil till I was 5 years old, so no matter what people say, I would still think that my English isn't good, but I don't mind about it, since language proficiency doesn't reflect our inner beauty....

what makes me sad is, many Malaysian Indians are not aware of their roots, that they feel ashamed of their mother tongue, to an extent that they are willing to live a lie by behaving like mat salleh celup...

in the end, the truth is,we live in a beautiful world amidst a crazy society, hahaha...

HeMz said...

Even if you had a slight accent, I'm sure you did not shake your head excessively like how some buggers try to potray us.

On another note, have you realised the mat salleh celups will be an expert in all the profanities and rude remarks(in Tamil) but they wont have a clue on having a decent conversation in Tamil? =/ *meluat aku*

Arvind R.K said...

hahaha,nope, i don't shake my head like Tanjore Thalaiyatti Bommai...

hmmm,never came across mat salleh celup using Tamil bad words, maybe i will in the future,hahaha...

but where i live, i am surrounded by mat salleh celup and high class wannabes, sometimes they're good source of entertainment,lol....