Friday, August 27, 2010

Dear Dad

"Are you planning to quit?? That means you'll have to look for a new job once you're done. Will you even get a job in the first place?? Is it possible for you to go back to your current workplace after that?" ~From My dad

I know that he didn't mean to discourage me in anyway. It's just the typical mentality of him that worries about me starting from scratch again despite of my age. And Dad, "HELL NO! I'm not going back there". I wish I could say that to him. =P

I often wondered where life leads all of us to. Of course, most parts of life is actually what we have decided on and some parts of it just came along. To look at it in an uninteresting way, life is all about growing up. It's actually a monotonous life we lead here. As far as I know, Asians (or is it just Malaysians) has a very monotonous lifestyle.

You grow up, you go to school, college then you get your ass a secured job. Then you get a car, then you just work your ass more and more and get a house. Then you hunt for a partner (or just because you are scared to end up all alone for the rest of your life, you get yourself hooked to someone). You get married, have a child or two or a football team. Then, you work even harder to support your family, to educate your children. You try your very best to refrain your children from making mistakes. Your children will go through the same shit you got through and you get to watch it. Only thing is that your children learn shit on their own as they are not allowed to make any mistake.

Let's look at life from another point. How many of us got our dream job?? How many of us actually strive towards excellence and work for that dream. We tend to grab every job opportunities that pays well, without thinking for our own self satisfaction. If it makes us happy in some ways, that would be good enough. But what if it doesn't?? We have to dread ourselves every morning to go to work. Just because the job pays well, it doesn't assure you to happiness. Attending a job that you hate is never going to make you happy even if you earn a lot. Being in a shitty job drains you even more than you could ever imagine. Trust me on that.

Of course, money is everything now. As the lame saying goes "No Money No Talk". But, what's the point of being a millionaire if you have to live in misery and not even a tiny bit piece of you is happy. On the other hand, if you've chose to ignore your own happiness and just focus in the money itself, that's a different issue. But, there will be a point of time where you'd look back and you'll realize your job had drained so much off you for the money you're getting paid. Somehow, it's never late to just get a grip of your life and start all over again - since you've got the money. =P

If you think it's too late to follow your dream, think again. It's never too late. It's all about the self satisfaction and accomplishment that you feel once you get there. As the saying goes "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step". Grabbing opportunities is one thing and living your dreams is another. Given a chance, I would rather live my dreams and have all the tiny bit piece of me HAPPY. I wouldn't want to dread myself for the everyday routine and live in misery, doing something I never had the passion in. I would like to die doing what I love the most. It has been decided and I'm going to follow suit.

And Dad, I really don't bother whether I'll get a job later on because all I want to do is follow my dream. That's making me HAPPY and I'm going for it!! I know you'll never stop worrying about me starting from scratch again. But at the same time, I know you'll never stop me from doing what I have always wanted to do. And I thank you for that. =)

p.s : I Love You, Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI! its budak-tak-mandi :P hems, from what i know, people everywhr around the globe are basically the same. they work meaningless jobs to make money, get stuck in monotonous marriages, take care of their screaming kids..but what sets some people apart from the rest is, as strange as it sounds, a HOBBY. what most ppl cant do in their jobs, they take it up as a hobby and they pursue it with passion. baking, photography, ANYTHING. they have something to look forward to doing every weekend, it serves as a time out for them and hobbies can be changed anytime. if ur stuck n feeling jaded, thats what i suggest doing, alongside with all the mandatory things like working, securing a partner, getting kids. u and ONLY YOU can make ur life a happy one, with some good friends by your side :) life is as exciting as u make it!

Anonymous said...

and also, GO FOR IT! i fully support the change of workplace. gives u more experience instead of getting stuck in d same environment n ppl and it gives u room to grow. change is essential to life and vital :)

J said...

Parents will be parents... Sometimes we may come across to be doing the wrong thing but only time will tell...

Even if things don't work out u have de satisfaction of having messed up all on ur own... :)